May 12, 2009

A.MOMENT.IN.TIME.

Today I stood on the corner of the intersection up the road.
I waited for the lights to change.
I stood for what felt like an eternity.
Just waiting…

So many thoughts ran through my mind.
As I stood there. Waiting.

As I waited, I thought.
Perched on the curb, lost in contemplation.
My eyes locked on the toes of my black leather school shoes, hanging over the edge of the rough concrete.

I felt nothing, knew nothing.
Nothing but the feel of the cool air against my skin and the sound of the passing cars.

I heard the roar of a semi trailer, not bothering to divert my eyes to look at it.
And just for a second, I wondered.

I had long since established I was alone.
Totally and completely.
The bonds I held dear were shallow and brittle.
Held out of habit more than anything.
Every day I had found myself retreating.
Drawing further and further away from those around me.
Feeling less and less human with every passing second.
Once that was gone what would be left?

I was still contemplating this as I stepped off the curb…

Tires screeched.
People screamed.
The world went black.

I didn’t feel a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment