February 15, 2009

Review: Twilight

I first read twilight almost two years ago [and have since read it almost 35 times -yes i know i am that pathetic] so when i heard there was to be a film my first reaction was of course, total and utter dread!

REVIEWS:
The first time I was too overwhelmed by the way my favorite book was mutilated in the page to screen transition - vital scenes and classic lines being cut and new [poorly writen] material only added insult to injury. I must admitt that to my suprise, i was highly impressed with the casting of Kristen Stewart as Bella. She gave a very pure and convincing performance which was woderful to see. I unfortunatly can not say the same for one Robert Pattinson who while portraying the serious side of our beloved Edward Cullen, failed to capture the softer, more romantic and lighthearted element of the character; leaving Pattinson's performance to feel forced and overstudied. The tedious editing of the script and weak addaption of the books very prominent plot line left much to be desired.
FIRST IMPRESSION: 2.5/5

After my first viewing, i figured i should rewatch it in order to overcome my original book-based bias. I certainly enjoyed it more apon the second screening. I decided to watch and accept it as a movie rather than an addaption of my favorite book. Watching the film in this more open mindset allowed me to appreciate the movie itsself, which without a doubt looks devine. The storyline still annoyed me, as did Robert Pattinson's performance but i definately got more from it this time. I also take time to note the wonderful casting of Charlie, The Cullens and Jacob; as these performers really help to bring the story to a new level.
SECOND IMPRESSION: 3.5/5

Finally, I went in knowing what to expect; from the story and actors alike. It was pleasent being able to really watch the movie and appeciate the tiny refferences hidden for true twilight fans. Tribute must also be paid the the score and soundtrack - they're gorgeous!
THIRD AND FINAL RATING: 4/5

VERDICT:

It Could Have Been Better But It Could Have Been SO Much Worse!


xoxo Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment