June 28, 2009

I've already seen a true romance... And it don't look like that!

I do not believe romance is dead.It has merely got a new wardrobe, changed its name, packed and moved states. In short, its changed.

Epic, windswept romances (in the style titanic and gone with the wind) are too extravagant for our now cynical view of the world. But even though our passion for grand gestures is gone romance is not.We loose romance when we loose our ability to see it in new forms; to see beauty the of love when it isn't wrapped up in ribbon and covered in glitter.

For example: I was in Sydney recently and while walking though Hyde park to catch my bus to oxford street, I saw a little old lady and a little old man sitting on a park bench. They were holding hands and the lady had her head on the mans shoulder. They just sat there and watched the pigeons by the fountain and talked quietly to each other. They seemed totally and utterly happy and at peace in each others company. I see this as real romance.

Real romance isn't about grand gestures, its the little things.

Why write your lovers name in the stars when you could lay under those same stars with them in your arms?
Why give someone the world when all they want is you?

Romance is not dead. We have simply forgotten where to find it.

And as no one knows romance like musicians....
"I remember the time you drove all night
Just to meet me in the morning
And I thought it was strange
You said everything changed
You felt as if you'd just woke up
And you said, This is the first day of my life,
Glad I didn't die before I met you
But now I don't care I could go anywhere with you
And I'd probably be happy."
First Day of My Life by Brighteyes.

"You could be my unintended
Choice to live my life extended
You should be the one I'll always love."
Unintended by MUSE

"Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you,
Tomorrow I’ll miss you;
Remember I’ll always be true.
And then while I’m away,
I'll write home ev'ry day,
And I’ll send all my loving to you."
All My Loving by The Beatles

No comments:

Post a Comment